February 4, 2014

What I Know Now: New Dads, Put Pegs in the Floor

(Originally posted by Joy Eggerichs at Love and Respect Now blog ~ reposted with enthusiastic permission!)

In case you’re just joining us, we’re in the last leg of the What I Know Now series.
As The Illumination Project (a 6-week study) was released this month, one of the main points I try to drive home is for all of us to seek wise counsel. So this series is another example of doing that—I ask my parents to share what they would tell themselves at different life stages. We’ve heard some great stories from when they were single and when they were newlyweds and now…
…when they became my parents. (AKA, the best years of their lives)
First up is Papa E, giving advice to all you dads out there who hope to form strong connections with your daughters.
His suggestion? Tell her that you love her, even when she’s an angsty teen who thinks the bedroom floor is her closet. (OTHER THAN THAT, I WAS THE PERFECT CHILD.)

AND THIS PERFECT CHILD…

IS GOING TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING FOR FREE!! 

Because my dad just published Love and Respect in the Family (and because I like you), if you join the discussion in the comment section below, you’ll be entered to win a free copy of the new book!
I’ll send it to you personally and might even forge my dad’s signature…
But watch the video first—I’m watching you.
(Can’t see the video? Click HERE.)

Single? Married? Check out what the ‘rents have to say to you HERE.

______

Questions

Parents, what additional advice can you give to dads raising girls?
Children, what advice can YOU give of what worked/didn’t work with your dads?
Leave a comment to win…
If your name gets drawn we will email you to get your address, social security, police record, and last known whereabouts…and then send you your free copy of Love and Respect in the Family. Woohoo! 

***P.S It's not too late to enter to WIN the Great Valentine's Day Giveaway of 2014!!   Click Here to Enter!!! 
Love and Respect (Now) is a division of Love and Respect. Please be considerate.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

great stuff!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! My husband and I have 4 girls and 1 boy... We'll take all the help we can get!! :)

Jennifer House said...

I loved the video clip! I have a great relationship with my dad NOW (as an adult,) but I must say... I did an awful lot of yelling at him when I was a teenager. I wish so much that I could go back and show my dad the respect that he deserved, and I'm ashamed to think of the hurt that I must have caused him.
It's a very, very good thing to train families to have a proper balance of love and respect. I wish we'd had that training when I was growing up.

Anonymous said...

Great video clip! As a kid I never really believed that my dad loved me very much because it was so obvious that I was not his favorite child, and he was a workaholic, seldom home. Not until I came to faith in Christ did I see how my relationship with my father was a symptom of living in a sin filled world, and I learned to love him more fully, accepting him as the father God had given me, flaws and all. We have a great, loving relationship today. It is my great hope that someday he will see the truth of the gospel.

The Downtown Homestead said...

I'm going to have my husband watch this to get some insight with our 4 year old daughter. Hopefully we'll win the book and then we can use it together to make our family stonger. Thanks for all of your great tips.

Blog Archive