February 11, 2014

What I Know Now: New Moms, Lessons From a Fifth Grader

(Originally posted by Joy Eggerichs at Love and Respect Now blog ~ reposted with enthusiastic permission!)

Hey friendlings,
We’ve finally come to the finish line of the What I Know Now series, a collection of little videos I made with my parents in celebration of The Illumination Project launch. My mom and pop have been sharing some nuggets of wisdom they’ve learned from different stages of their lives.
My dad may have just written a book on parenting called Love and Respect in the Family, but my mom is just as insightful. And by insightful I mean, “made just as many mistakes.”
No parent is perfect, but hopefully you’ll gain some of the wisdom she wishes she would have known while raising my two brothers.
And even though this video is about moms and their sons, I, the Eggerichs’ perfect child, have something to offer you:

THIS PERFECT CHILD…

IS GOING TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING FOR FREE!!

Because my dad just published Love and Respect in the Family (and because I like you), if you join the discussion in the comment section below, you’ll be entered to win a free copy of the new book!
So sit back and enjoy the video, and let’s start talkin’!
(Can’t see the video? Click HERE.)
P.s. What’s this shoulder-to-shoulder business? Learn more HERE. Or, check out my dad’s first book,Love and Respect.

Single? Newly Married? Wondering what Mama and Papa E have to say to you? Check it out HERE.

_______

Questions

Parents, what additional advice can you give to new moms who are raising boys?
Kids, what advice can YOU give based on how you were raised—what worked/didn’t work with your mothers?
Leave a comment to win…
If your name gets drawn we will email you to get your address, social security, police record, and last known whereabouts…and then send you your free copy of Love and Respect in the Family. Woohoo! 
Love and Respect (Now) is a division of Love and Respect. Please be considerate.

(Originally posted by Joy Eggerichs at Love and Respect Now blog ~ reposted with enthusiastic permission!)

4 comments:

Joy said...

Wise advice, Sarah! Thank you for sharing. As the mother of a little guy who's still a work in progress, I can already see how important it is to "respect" his space and not drown him with questions or even just chatter. I've also learned when I choose not cave in to the "because I said so" routine and take the time to calmly explain things to him, he will usually respond appropriately. Making sure that little love tank is filled with respect (which can often be tricky, especially during times of discipline) will help build the mother-son relationship.

kortnaa Krogen said...

My husband & i just attended your conference this weekend and praise God that we did. So eye opening! And I am so thankful for what I learned about even communicating with lil' boys. I come from a family of 5 girls and now have 2 sons, so huge learning curve for me. As I gave my 2.5 yr old a bath last night I caught myself starting to try and engage him in chatter. I shut my mouth and just sat and watched him play. Pouring water in and out of cups, stacking bath toys, washing the bath tub lol. And I sat there in silence and just watched and only talked if he engaged me 1st. He was so happy during this bath time. so relaxed! I know he has no clue what went on and my husband laughed and told me how proud he was when I told him how hard it was for me to just shut my mouth lol. But thank you so very much for the lil' things that will be key in my relationship with the males in my life :)

HeatherLeigh said...

My Mom's group started the Love and Respect study today and we are believing God for great things in our marriages & families! So excited to read the next book! I have 4 boys & a girl so I am excitd to learn how to connect better with my boys!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and insight on love and respect not only in marriage but now in families. Oh, if I knew then what I know now. My son is grown and married now but I'm hoping your new book will help me grow and improve my relationship with my now grown son. I purchased your respectfully yours bible study and just live it. I'm on my third time through...and still trying to grasp it all. Thank you.

Blog Archive